Speech delay is the inability of a child to communicate properly. The children having speech delays issues often fail to express their feelings and emotions which becomes the cause of frustration in them. Thus, it becomes very important to understand the psychology of such children. Parents should know their role and conduct in dealing with children having speech delay.
As a parent, you need to know:
- Your child wants to communicate
- He/she makes every possible way to express by producing some sounds.
- They have a problem with organizing words that they want to say
- They might be suffering from brain injury.
- The frustrating behaviour in them is due to the inability to express and say
- Giving written choices to such children helps in expressing
What you should do?
As a parent, your role signifies in improving the conditions of your child. The continuous efforts at home along with the speech therapy are much needed for better speech.
- Interact more with your child.
- Include them in all conversations.
- Ask questions to them of what they want or how they are feeling and give them choices to respond.
- Listen carefully to their sounds and words, this will motivate them to put the effort into speaking and expressing.
- Make them feel important.
- Ensure a peaceful environment to build easy communication with your child.
- Give your child ample time and chances to think and speak.
What Not to do?
There are some important points that parents should avoid, while their child is trying to speak and communicate.
- Do not ignore when your child is trying to speak.
- Do not allow others to ignore when your child is trying to speak.
- Do not interrupt when your child is trying to speak.
- Do not correct his/her speech.
- Do not criticize them for not speaking properly.
- Do not give them quick and sudden instructions to speak.
- Avoid asking them the same question again and again.
- Do not copy your child’s way of speaking